Monday, March 8, 2010

European Classics Optimus Prime

I just posted on the European exclusive Sideswipe, but I had to make a quick post about a line that would have been awesome to see in the United States in 1991. This toy line was the European Classics line which featured re-releases of classic figures from the Transformers Generation One universe from 1984-1987 in 1990 and 1991. This release was of Optimus Prime!

The toy is exactly the same as the original 1984 version. It features the same Optimus Prime mold, all of the same parts, the same die-cast metal, and the same rubber tires. The difference was that this figure featured all new packaging, and it was brought back for a new generation of fans. I remember back in the mid 1990's when eBay was taking off, and I would see this figure up for sale. I always asked myself why Prime was packaged in this way. I got my answer years later after learning of the European Classics line. Fortunately, Hasbro brought the classic toys back in the early 2000's (although over priced) with the Commemorative Series at Toys r Us!

No comments:

Post a Comment