Sunday, November 8, 2009

Rock Lords? Another Lame GoBot Idea

If you read my previous blog, you should know that I am not a fan (only enough to know what they are) of the GoBots. Although they beat Transformers to market in the 1980's, they were a vastly inferior product to the Transformers. Around 1986 when the GoBots toy line was winding down, they hit a new low (even for them). They released a theatrical film called GoBots: Battle of the Rock Lords. Needless to say, although Transformers: The Movie was a box office flop in 1986, this film was out of theatres even faster. Also, which film has been remembered fondly for 20 plus years and received a 20th anniversary re-release from Sony BMG? I'll give you a hint, it wasn't a movie about transforming rocks.

The Rock Lords were supposed to be a new sub line to the GoBots. The concept...machines which transformed into...rocks. Yup...rocks. I will admit that I owned two of them. However, at the tender age of five years old, I didn't care how bad it was as long as it seemed like a Transformer. Now in my mid twenties, I can say that they had little to no play value, they looked awful, and they deserve to be left in rock mode in a real rock quarry never to be discovered again by innocent children or collectors.

On a side note, I mentioned a moment ago the feature film that came out in 1986. Don't see it...ever. Multiple people have put it on YouTube. If you are curious, then feel free, but it will be 70+ minutes of your lives you will never get back.

No comments:

Post a Comment